Visa Information

Visa Information

All international students must possess a current student visa while they are studying in Australia. This information does not apply to prospective students who are Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia.

How do I apply?

Prospective international students intending to study in Australia must obtain a student visa from an Australian High Commission, Embassy or Consulate in their home country before travelling. Some students can also apply online. To find out if you are eligible, visit

All international students must comply with current visa conditions and regulations determined by Department of Home Affairs.

To assist students in applying for a student visa, NYC has appointed a number of representatives in various countries. For a list of authorised NYC representatives, Click here.

What are the visa requirements?

There are requirements that must be met before a student visa is issued, and these vary from country to country. The main requirements for a visa application may include:

  • a Letter of Offer from NYC
  • an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from NYC, which is issued after you have paid your first trimester’s tuition fees and other required fees
  • a medical check-up
  • proof of academic history and English proficiency
  • proof of financial support

To maintain your visa, you must:

  • study full time while in Australia
  • attend at least 80 percent of all scheduled classes
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • maintain a valid enrolment at NYC and inform NYC if you change your student status
  • advise NYC within seven days if you change your Australian address
  • have enough money to cover tuition fees and living expenses while in Australia
  • not work more than 40 hours during a fortnight (see below)
  • maintain valid Overseas Student Health Cover (see below)
  • not transfer between registered education providers within the first study period (trimester) of your course commencing without a release letter from NYC.

For more information about visa conditions and regulations, visit

Do I need health cover?

As a condition of your student visa, you must maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while in Australia. You must obtain this cover for the proposed duration of your visa. If you have an accident or health problem within Australia, you will be able to redeem some or all of your medical costs.

NYC can organise OSHC on your behalf. Further details will be provided in your Letter of Offer.

For more information, visit (medical Cover).

How long is my visa valid?

Your student visa will be issued for the duration of your NYC course, as stated in the CoE that you will receive from NYC. With your Letter of Offer, you will receive an Acceptance of Offer form.

How do I renew my visa?

It is your responsibility to renew or extend your visa as required, before it expires. You must present specific documents when applying for a student visa extension or renewal. A checklist and the required forms are available at

Can I work in Australia while on a student visa?

If you are an international student currently enrolled and attending classes, you may work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session, and full-time hours during scheduled course breaks. However, you should not rely on part-time work to support your study, as the amount you earn will be unlikely to cover all your living costs. Please be aware that your primary purpose in Australia while on a student visa is to study, and that any work you undertake must not interfere with your studies.

What if I have dependants?

If you are a prospective international student and you have any school-aged dependants coming to Australia with you, you must pay full fees for each dependant who is to be enrolled in a government or non-government school.

The provision of education to international students is regulated by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR), through the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) legislative framework. An overview of this framework, including the rights and responsibilities of international students, is available at